Contact: Johanna Kichton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202.660.0605
WASHINGTON, D.C.–People’s Action Executive Director George Goehl today released the following statement in response to reports that Senate Republicans are meeting with President Trump to discuss new coronavirus relief legislation:
“Senate Republicans are wasting their breath today. The expanded unemployment insurance that 30 million people are relying on will expire in five days, and millions more people are at risk for eviction one week after that. Instead of working with Senate Democrats to pass the HEROES Act, which only contains the bare minimum of relief needed, Mitch McConnell and his colleagues are conniving with Trump to block needed funding for cities and states and slash future unemployment benefits.
“If Congress really cared about people and our planet, they would immediately pass a People’s Bailout, which would:
- Guarantee health care during the pandemic;
- Cancel rent and end evictions;
- Provide emergency money for the people;
- Extend pandemic unemployment insurance;
- Cancel student debt;
- Include undocumented immigrants in benefit eligibility;
- Fund green jobs for a just long-term recovery and equitable future;
- Provide significant relief for localities and states; and
- Exclude the $300 million slated for the COPS program.
“Our unemployment rate is staggering. Infection rates are blowing up. People need help. Congress, do your job and pass a People’s Bailout.”
Last week, People’s Action members and partners organized 31 actions in 22 states to demand the Senate provide immediate relief and pass a People’s Bailout. You can learn more about those actions here.
About People’s Action
People’s Action is a national network of 41 state and local grassroots, power-building organizations united in fighting for justice. Learn more: https://peoplesaction.org.