Demands for Federal Action to Regulate Rent Released in Memo and Letter to the Administration
Contact: Johanna Kichton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202.660.0605
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Homes Guarantee campaign, based at People’s Action, today led a coalition of over 220 tenant unions, community organizations, and legal partners to call on President Biden to regulate rents in a new memo and letter. The demands come just a day before July’s inflation numbers are set to be released.
$2000 for the first time ever.
“The president must act immediately to regulate rents, as part of the administration’s efforts to curb inflation, and as a critical foundation for long term protections to correct the imbalance of power between tenants and their landlords,” the signers wrote.
The demands for federal action to combat rent inflation include:
- Declaring a state of emergency on housing;
- Imposing rent regulations on all borrowers of federally-backed mortgages;
- Defining excessive rent increases as an unfair practice and enforcing it;
- Investigating corporate landlords using unfair tenant screening and debt collection practices;
- Obtaining and investigating rent increases at publicly traded companies that own and manage rental residential properties;
- Conditioning new Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) funds with rent control measures; and
- Attaching good cause eviction protections to the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit.
The full text of the demands, letter, and signers may be found here.
People’s Action builds the power of poor and working people in urban, rural, and suburban areas to win change through issue fights and elections. We are a national network of 38 state and local grassroots power-building organizations in 28 states–united in the work of building a bigger “we.”