People’s Action Institute (501c3), and sister organization People’s Action (501c4), are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and remote staff across the country, we support and advance state-based and national fights for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more. Our member organizations, nearly 40 organizations across 28 states, improve lives by running local- and state-level issue and electoral campaigns, leading statewide tables, and collectively come together to change national policy and politics.
People’s Action/ Institute has a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing an array of issues at the local, state, and federal levels. Our member organizations have won important victories at the national, state, and local levels, including: health insurance for millions and the reversal of health care laws that discriminate based on citizenship, stopping Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers, and historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act to victory and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
For more information on PAI, please visit https://peoplesaction.org/.
People’s Action is running one of the largest progressive political programs in the country. Our movement politics program intends to transform American politics by electing poor and working people to local, state and federal offices who are dedicated to instituting our Long Term Agenda for a People’s Economy. We engage voters in rural, urban and suburban areas through deep canvassing, which is a form of direct voter contact that aims to build long term relationships with voters and persuade them to help elect our movement candidates.
This is a dream job for someone who is eager to build a unified national field program to elect progressive champions, grounded in local community organizing with People’s Action/Institute’s member organizations.
Overview of the Position
The primary function of the Movement Politics Field Director is to drive a national field program to elect hundreds of progressive champions to city, state and federal office. The Movement Politics Field Director will manage a team of field staff to lead volunteer engagement and political support to member organizations. The Movement Politics Field Director will set strategic, metrics based goals for our deep canvass call and text programs and work with People’s Action/Institute’s staff and member organization staff to align our national organizing with local programs.
What you will do:
- Manage a team field team who serve as political field support to our member organizations and mobilize tens of thousands of volunteers to participate in our movement politics campaigns. Lead check ins, goal setting, accountability and one to one coaching with each member of the field team.
- Identify priority local, state and federal electoral opportunities for People’s Action to build our slate of progressive champions in elected office. Work with member organizations to establish long term strategies to flip state legislatures, congressional districts and senate seats while electing movement aligned champions.
- Set field targeting and direct voter contact goals to help win those races and build the power of our member organizations. Ensure the movement politics field teams’ success in hitting those goals.
- Direct People’s Action’s national volunteer program. Design strategic campaign arcs to pivot between issue based and electoral deep canvassing with our national volunteer base. Establish a monthly calendar of distributed events that will allow People’s Action/Institute to mobilize volunteers to advance its mission. Create national scripts and universes for deep canvass programs.
- Lead movement politics field support to People’s Action’s member organizations. Ensure our member organizations have the support they need to build high quality scripts, universes and campaign strategy. Serve as a movement politics field lead to several member organizations and manage members of the movement politics field team to do the same. Train member organization staff to manage deep canvass programs through training for trainers’ and one to one coaching
- Assist with fundraising for the overall movement politics program and lead individual fundraising drives with national volunteers
- Other Duties as Assigned
The ideal Movement Politics Field Director should have the following experience and qualifications:
- Experience with Spoke, ThruTalk and TMC VAN
- Familiarity with deep canvassing
- 5+ years of experience in community, electoral or union organizing
- 2+ years of experience managing staff to execute complex, ambitious projects in a high paced environment
- Strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations
Compensation and Benefits:
Status: Full-time, Exempt, benefits eligible
Salary Range: Level 3 – 80,000-90,000
Reports to: Movement Politics Director
Direct Reports: Four Field Managers
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account, 401(k) plan, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 11 paid holidays plus the last two weeks of the year that include Christmas Eve/Christmas Day as well as, New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day, and you accrue two weeks of vacation your first year or employment.
Commitment to Disability, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Close date: October 31, 2021
No phone calls please