About People’s Action/Institute
People’s Action Institute (501c3) and sister organization People’s Action (501c4) are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that puts people before profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, D.C., and Chicago, IL and remote staff across the country, we support and advance state-based and national fights for a People’s Green New Deal, Medicare for All, A Homes Guarantee, an End to the Drug War, and more. Our member organizations, 40 organizations across 30 states, improve lives by running state and local level issues and electoral campaigns, leading statewide tables, and taking collective action to change national policy and politics.
Our member organizations have won important victories at the national, state, and local levels, including health insurance for millions and the reversal of health care laws that discriminate based on citizenship, stopping Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers, and historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
We take our members to the front doors and boardrooms of the worst actors in American life; from racist politicians to bank CEOs.
We work to defeat the “business as usual” politics endemic to all parts of our political system. We elevate people-power over-concentrated wealth, replace milquetoast talking points with bold solutions to radically transform and democratize our economy and government, putting the fight for racial justice at the center of the public conversation.
For more information on PAI, please visit https://peoplesaction.org/.
The Homes Guarantee campaign is seeking an organizer to develop a new level of ambition and rigor to our National Tenants Bill of Rights campaign, rural tenant organizing, candidate engagement, and campaign team. This is the dream job of someone who wants to be on the cutting edge of bringing real people power to bear on a bold national issue campaign in a historic moment for the tenant movement.
Overview of the Position
The Homes Guarantee organizer will recruit, develop, and invest in teams of leaders/organizations that build power to win a Homes Guarantee.
What you will do:
National Tenants Bill of Rights: Build the capacity of the Homes Guarantee Campaign and member organizations to win a National Tenants’ Bill of Rights.
- Support the campaign cohort in executing the field program in the first phase of this campaign.
- Manage all data, textbanking, and phone banking systems.
- Build and develop a Core Team of leaders who drive campaign strategy and hold the collective accountable to goals.
- Build a team of grassroots leaders who will coordinate with the National Tenants’ Bill of Rights Policy Team to drive key policy decisions and bottomline power meetings with legislators.
- Tell the story of the work in coordination with the People’s Action comms team.
Rural Organizing: Create an accountable and powerful collective of rural tenant-led organizations within the Homes Guarantee cohort.
- Drive work to identify new leaders, develop and train tenant organizers, and design fights in rural communities that move us closer to winning a Homes Guarantee.
- Build a rural listening project with leaders to identify key rural housing issues and narrative or policy fights to engage in that build the power of rural tenants.
- Tell the story of the work. Own the tracking and metrics related to this program, regularly update the rest of the People’s Action network and Homes Guarantee team about the progress and challenges, and build a plan for storytelling to the allies and general public.
Homes Guarantee Candidate Pledge: Grow a collective of leaders who build political power to win a Homes Guarantee
- Recruit, develop, and invest in a team of leaders who are deeply self-interested in building a movement of political candidates who reject real estate money and co-govern with tenants, public housing residents, and unhoused people
- Train and build capacity of leaders to drive candidate recruitment, intervene in key electoral races, enforce the Homes Guarantee Candidate Pledge, and co-govern with candidates once they are in office.
- Work with leaders to tell the story of the Homes Guarantee Candidate Pledge.
- Facilitate relationship building between leaders, Homes Guarantee candidates, and aligned organizations.
Campaign Operations: Build and maintain systems to ensure smooth day-to-day campaign operations.
- Build and oversee, with Tara, the week-to-week systems for running the Homes Guarantee campaign, including contact lists, and implementing the campaign structure, including weekly calls, working group meetings, organizational tools, etc.
- Update/maintain new member onboarding to the cohort and working group.
- Contribute to planning and executing campaign throwdowns, direct actions, retreats, special projects, and more.
- Participate in other organizational calls as needed for integration and alignment of the project into broader work.
The ideal Homes Guarantee Organizer should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of one year organizing in a national or local context.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
- Commitment to racial, gender and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside organizations.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations.
Compensation and Benefits:
Status: Full-time, Regular, Exempt, benefits eligible
Salary Range: Level 1 $55,000-$60,000
Location: Based in our Chicago, IL office. Washington, D.C. or remote locations may be considered for the right candidate.
Reports to: Housing Campaign Director
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account, 401(k) plan, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 11 paid holidays plus the last two weeks of the year that include Christmas Eve/Christmas Day as well as, New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day, and you accrue two weeks of vacation your first year or employment.
Commitment to Disability, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
People’s Action/Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; womxn, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Close date: October 31, 2021
No phone calls, please.