ABOUT PEOPLE’S ACTION/INSTITUTE
People’s Action Institute (501c3), and sister organization People’s Action (501c4), are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and remote staff across the country, we support and advance state-based and national fights for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more. Our member organizations, nearly 40 organizations across 30 states, improve lives by running local- and state-level issue and electoral campaigns, leading statewide tables, and collectively come together to change national policy and polit ics.
People’s Action/ Institute has a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing an array of issues at the local, state, and federal levels. Qur member organization have won important victories at the national, state, and local levels, including: health insurance for millions and the reversal of health care laws that discriminate based on citizenship, stopping Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers, and historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act to victory and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
For more information on PAI, please visit https://peoplesaction.org/.
People’s Action Institute (PAI) and the New Conversation Initiative (NCI) are partnering to launch the Deep Canvass Institute (DCI, the “Institute”) to teach the practice of deep canvassing to an unprecedented number of volunteers, member organizations, and movement allies. The Institute is a revolutionary innovation in movement technology and will train a vast base of volunteers on how to listen without judgment, share heartfelt stories that can bind us together, and process conflicts in ways that result in monumental cultural, social, and political shifts.
The DCI Training Manager will play a crucial role in helping to coordinate the Institute’s training program that will equip tens of thousands of people to have deep canvass conversations and build the capacity of hundreds of new deep canvass trainers.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
People’s Action/Institute is looking for a Training Manager for the Deep Canvass Institute to join our team to coordinate our monthly deep canvass skill series; quarterly training for trainers; and drive recruitment to train tens of thousands of people to learn how to deep canvass.
The DCI Training Manager should be an experienced organizer that is familiar with deep canvassing and has the capacity to coordinate and drive complex training programs. This position reports to the Director of Strategic Initiatives in our Movement Politics department. They will work in collaboration with the Powerbuilding, Campaigns, Communications, and Movement Politics teams along with key leadership at the New Conversation Initiative.
The Deep Canvass Institute Training Manager will:
- Coordinate monthly Deep Canvass skill series training and work with a diverse training team to help deliver training for volunteers; People’s Action member organizations; and allied movement organizations.
- Drive recruitment strategy for monthly skill series training and help to organize regular events with surrogates and champions to promote the Deep Canvass Institute.
- Work with the Movement Politics Team to integrate volunteers into ongoing national deep canvass campaigns and help coordinate side-by-side coaching for volunteers. Create a ladder of engagement that moves new deep canvass institute participants into long term roles with our call program.
- Support quarterly Deep Canvass ‘Training for Trainers’ to help train hundreds of new ‘deep canvass’ trainers to support the expansion and development of new local deep canvass programs.
- Assist with fundraising and curriculum development for the deep canvass institute
- Tell the story of the work by tracking the metrics of the program and regularly updating the PAI network, funders and allies about the lessons, successes and challenges of the Deep Canvass Institute.
- Manage a team of trainers that support member organizations ability to build strong deep canvass programs that help them to build strong, multiracial poor and working class bases and win on key issue campaigns.
- Work with the Movement Politics; Power Building; and Communications Team to execute the Deep Canvass Institute training programs.
- Lead nationally broadcast live streams or volunteer events to share out successes from the Deep Canvass Institute and Movement Politics programs and plug volunteers into upcoming opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal Deep Canvass Institute Training Manager will have:
- A minimum of three years experience working in community, labor, or electoral organizations in base building roles, working with poor and working class people.
- Experience as a trainer, training other trainers, and developing curriculum.
- Familiarity with Deep Canvassing
- Experience leading or managing large projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
- A track record of success in recruiting thousands of volunteers to participate in electoral or community organizing campaigns
- Demonstrated commitmentment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations
Compensation and Benefits:
Status: Full-time, Exempt, benefits eligible
Salary Range: $57,500 – 67,500
Location: Remote locations are considered for this position.
Reports to: Director of Strategic Initiatives
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account, 401(k) plan, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 11 paid holidays plus the last two weeks of the year that include Christmas Eve/Christmas Day as well as, New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day, and you accrue two weeks of vacation your first year of employment.
Commitment to Disability, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Close date: October 6, 2021
No phone calls please