People’s Action and Member Organization Citizen Action Wisconsin Called and Texted Over 2.4 Million Undecided Voters
Contact: Johanna Kichton, 202.660.0605, [email protected]
WASHINGTON, D.C.—People’s Action today culminated their massive deep canvassing and movement politics program to defeat Trump in Wisconsin and announced their historic results.
“We’re proud of what we did here in Wisconsin,” People’s Action Director of Movement Politics Ryan Greenwood said. “We spent this election season mobilizing the multigenerational and multiracial working class to put in the ground work to defeat Trump—connecting with voters, endorsing candidates, and running ads dispelling his lies. Now, we’re ready to continue the fight and ensure our government works for us all, not just the corporations and the 1%.”
This election season featured exponential growth for People’s Action, during which the organization:
- Made more than 380,000 attempts to call conflicted and undecided voters;
- Sent more than 2,100,000 texts to conflicted and undecided voters;
- Had more than 26,000 conversations with conflicted and undecided voters.
People’s Action and Citizen Action Wisconsin nominated 17 state-level movement politics candidates:
- Joni Anderson for State Senate District 14
- Melissa Sargent for State Senate District 16
- Aaron Wojciechowski for State Senate District 18
- JoAnna Bautch for State Assembly District 08
- Kim Butler for State Assembly District 28
- Marisabel Cabrera for State Assembly District 09
- Dave Considine for State Assembly District 81
- Brian Giles for State Assembly District 69
- Josefine Jaynes for State Assembly District 96
- Jessica Katzenmeyer for State Assembly District 15
- Kriss Marion for State Assembly District 51
- Kristina Shelton for State Assembly District 90
- Emily Siegrist for State Assembly District 24
- Lisa Subeck for State Assembly District 78
- Emily Voight for State Assembly District 03
- Melissa Winker for State Assembly District 38
- Sarah Yacoub for State Assembly District 30
People’s Action and Local Voices also launched an ad campaign in rural battleground counties. The ad featured the story of lifetime Wisconsin resident and cash crop farmer Craig Myhre, and aired over TV, radio, and internet. By airing the ad in areas that were also being deep canvassed, the organizations have created a one-of-kind 360 degree voter engagement strategy.
Deep canvass phone calls are candid conversations between canvassers and voters in which participants reflect on the experiences that shape what’s at stake for them. These conversations are critical to not only defeating Trump but also to building bridges among a divided America. People’s Action recently released new results from a deep canvass experiment it conducted showing that the method is about 102 times more effective at moving individual voters than the typical presidential persuasion program. Of the people People’s Action talks to, 48% move towards Biden and 21% completely switched to Biden from voting for Trump or being undecided.
People’s Action’s Movement Politics program recruits, runs, and elects progressives into local and statewide offices across the country. Since 2016, People’s Action has helped elect over 350 movement politics candidates. The program focuses on electing women, people of color, and low-income people who are grounded in progressive movement building with our member organizations.
About People’s Action
People’s Action is a national network of 37 state and local grassroots, power-building organizations united in fighting for justice. We operate the largest progressive rural organizing project in the country. People’s Action and its member organizations are coordinating one of the biggest distributed organizing programs in rural areas this election season.