People’s Action and Member Organization Michigan United Called and Texted Over 4.3 Million Undecided Voters
Contact: Johanna Kichton, 202.660.0605, [email protected]
WASHINGTON, D.C.—People’s Action today culminated their massive deep canvassing and movement politics program to defeat Trump in Michigan and announced their historic results.
“We’re proud of what we did here in Michigan,” People’s Action Director of Movement Politics Ryan Greenwood said. “We spent this election season mobilizing the multigenerational and multiracial working class to put in the ground work to defeat Trump—connecting with voters and endorsing candidates. Now, we’re ready to continue the fight and ensure our government works for us all, not just the corporations and the 1%.”
This election season featured exponential growth for People’s Action, during which the organization:
- Made more than 1,200,000 attempts to call conflicted and undecided voters;
- Sent more than 3,100,00 texts to conflicted and undecided voters;
- Had nearly 30,000 conversations with conflicted and undecided voters.
People’s Action and Michigan People’s Action nominated eight federal, state, and county-level movement politics candidates:
- Rashida Tlaib for U.S. Representative (MI-13)
- Jon Hoadley for U.S. Representative (MI-06)
- Abraham Aiyash for State Representative (House District 4)
- Carly Hammond for State Representative (House District 95)
- Megan McAllister for State Representative (House District 38)
- Donavan McKinney for State Representative (House District 3)
- Laurie Pohutsky for State Representative (House District 19)
- Victoria Burton-Harris for Wayne County Prosecutor
Deep canvass phone calls are candid conversations between canvassers and voters in which participants reflect on the experiences that shape what’s at stake for them. These conversations are critical to not only defeating Trump but also to building bridges among a divided America. People’s Action recently released new results from a deep canvass experiment it conducted showing that the method is about 102 times more effective at moving individual voters than the typical presidential persuasion program. Of the people People’s Action talks to, 48% move towards Biden and 21% completely switched to Biden from voting for Trump or being undecided.
People’s Action’s Movement Politics program recruits, runs, and elects progressives into local and statewide offices across the country. Since 2016, People’s Action has helped elect over 350 movement politics candidates. The program focuses on electing women, people of color, and low-income people who are grounded in progressive movement building with our member organizations.
About People’s Action
People’s Action is a national network of 37 state and local grassroots, power-building organizations united in fighting for justice. We operate the largest progressive rural organizing project in the country. People’s Action and its member organizations are coordinating one of the biggest distributed organizing programs in rural areas this election season.