People’s Action Institute (501c3) and People’s Action (501c4) are sister national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections. With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and staff scattered around the country, we support and further state-based and national movements for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more.
People’s Action/ Institute is seeking a motivated and hardworking communications professional to join a fast-paced communications team to help manage communications for a nationwide, grassroots, progressive organization.
- drafting materials (news releases, statements, talking points, etc.);
- managing media relationships and press inquiries;
- maintaining media directories of reporters who cover our issues; and
- coordinating with the communications team and colleagues across the organization to meet media needs.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties or responsibilities associated with the position. This position reports to the Communications and Digital Director and will be based in Washington, DC.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization.
- excellent written and oral communication skills;
- the ability to comprehend and summarize complex legislation quickly;
- a proven ability to perform under pressure while juggling multiple tasks; and
- sound judgment.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $60k-$70k, depending on years of experience. The People’s Action benefits package includes excellent family medical, dental & vision insurance plan, flexible spending account, 403b plan with 3% employer contribution after 6 months, and paid time off in December in addition to two weeks paid vacation in your first year of employment.
Please upload your cover letter and resume.
People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.