People’s Action Institute (501c3), and sister organization People’s Action (501c4), are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and staff scattered around the country, we support and advance state-based and national movements for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more. Our member organizations across the country, nearly 50 organizations across 30 states, run local- and state-level issue and electoral campaigns, often lead statewide coordinating advocacy tables, and collectively come together to influence national policy and politics.
People’s Action/ Institute has a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing an array of issues at the local, state, and federal levels. The groups that comprise our organization have won a number of important victories over the decades that our organizations have been around. We’ve won health insurance for millions and reversed health care laws that discriminate based on a person’s citizenship. We’ve stopped Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers. We pushed historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act to victory and helped win creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
People’s Action/Institute seeks a motivated organizer and fundraiser to continue leading and building out Student Action. This person will have primary responsibility for working with local leadership of Student Action to set and execute Student Action’s strategy, in coordination with other People’s Action/Institute national staff. They will also coordinate support and provide direct support for Student Action bases. They will report to the People’s Action Field Director.
Expected outcomes of the position:
- Expand and strengthen the base of Student Action leaders across the country. Provide direct support and management of local organizers and leaders; develop and strengthen relationships with allies and partner organizations to advance joint work.
- Raise the profile of Student Action nationally by representing Student Action in relevant coalition spaces, leading work that generates social/media interest, and working in coordination with the People’s Action communications team to ensure our story is heard widely.
- Raise money — primarily from foundations and institutional partners but also grassroots money. This may involve leading a team of staff and leaders to raise grassroots and institutional resources.
- Mobilize students in 5+ states around the 2020 Presidential Election. Move candidates to support our Free College for All policy, and produce robust student-led electoral operations that get young people out to vote and elect champions.
- Create and lead process to update Student Action’s strategic plan for our national campaign for Free College for All. Then execute that strategic plan.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships grounded in trust and shared self interest
- Has experience organizing students, particularly developing leaders in situations with inherently high turnover
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Willingness to make difficult decisions and have tough conversations
- Ability to work independently/remotely
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically. Experience planning campaigns or arcs of growth for an organization.
- Experience managing volunteers or staff, particularly remotely
- Can communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Experience raising money — ideally both from foundations/institutional partners and grassroots money
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, gender justice
- Ability to travel within the U.S. 1-3 times per month
- Experience leading organizing trainings. Skill-based, agitational deep leadership development, and political education.
- Experience planning and executing direct actions, ideally as part of an ongoing issue campaign
- Experience with electoral organizing
- Experience working inside of or in partnership with community organizations
This position will be supervised by the People’s Action Field Director.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $55-65k. The People’s Action/Institute benefits package includes a very good family medical, dental & vision insurance plan, a 403b plan with 3% employer contribution after a month, and paid time off in December in addition to paid vacation.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Student Action National Lead Organizer” in the subject line. Visit our website, peoplesaction.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. People’s Action Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Posted on June 14, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the first batch reviewed July 1, 2019. Ideally we would start someone in the position August 1, 2019.