People’s Action Institute (501c3) and People’s Action (501c4) is a national progressive organization supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections. With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and staff scattered around the country, we support and further state-based and national movements for progressive policies on the environment, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more.
People’s Action/ Institute is seeking a motivated organizer who can drive forward our work to advance clean safe drinking water for all at the state and national levels. This work includes fights nationally and at the state level for ensuring that children in schools, day care facilities, public housing and private homes have clean safe drinking water.
Our organization has a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing solution oriented environmental and public health protections for all people. Our member organizations across the country run state-level campaigns and often lead statewide coordinating advocacy tables and have been at the forefront of educating and mobilizing people around environmental pollution that impacts public health, advocating that policies and practices place people and planet first.
This position falls under the People and Planet First program with an environmental agenda that centers working class and of-color communities. An environmental agenda that commits to stopping fossil fuel extraction and pollution; that makes sure communities on the front lines of climate change are first in line for recovery; and that invests in building a 100% renewable energy system that is controlled by and works for 100% of the people as both workers and energy-users.
· Drive our national engagement for clean drinking water. Own the project of advancing People’s Action’s contribution to the Healthy Water Healthy Kids Campaign work nationally. Create strong national partnerships that build our power to advance our strategy as well as provide support for state groups.
· Support the creation of razor-sharp state campaigns. Use your deep campaign, power analysis, issue-cutting skills to help affiliate member group staff create and execute razor sharp campaign strategies at the state level around safe drinking water in schools, daycare facilities, private and public housing. There should be clarity in the organization and across the network about who our targets and partners are and how we’re going to win. This is about building a culture of campaigning that electrifies and focuses people.
· Utilize the building of independent political power. Together with our network and allies, we are building toward bold progressive governing power in cities and states. This focus should be baked in to all of our programmatic work. As the campaign organizer you should be thinking about how independent political power is advanced through safe drinking water work as well as how the political work advances the issue work.
· Build and develop strong coalitions and partnerships. Serve as our point person in national coalitions around safe drinking water for all and in developing partnerships that can benefit the work at the state and national level, including other organizing networks, advocacy groups, think tanks, and labor unions.
· Work with the People and Planet First program to elevate water as one of the top environmental issues in the program.
· Coordinate the work internally. Work with People and Planet First program to put water as one of the top environmental issues in the program and other organizational departments to ensure smooth and seamless implementation of the campaign work, and the maximization of our capacities towards winning.
· Capture and communicate our unique story. Diligently work to get our narrative, messaging, and story out to the press along with our communications team to help shift public consciousness while also ensuring our groups get credit for their contribution to this effort.
Other job responsibilities include:
· Fundraising/ financial management for the campaign budget along with the fundraising team.
· Tracking of field clips, communications activities, and more for reporting and evaluation purposes.
· Attend and support organizational conferences, events, and meetings as needed and requested.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties or responsibilities associated with the position. This position is based in northern Virginia within the Washington, D.C. metro area.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
· Strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization.
· A minimum of three years of organizing experience working with community, labor and/ or electoral organizations.
· Similar level of experience coalition building and facilitating diverse groups, with a strong track record of building and managing teams/ collaborations.
· Experience running statewide or national level campaigns with multiple partners.
· Experience balancing long-term power building with rapid response action needs.
· Previous experience organizing around environmental health issues is ideal, but not required.
· Experience writing and managing grants and other donor relationships.
· Strong interpersonal, writing, and organizational skills.
· Effective at multitasking with a wide range of skills.
· Ability and willingness to travel up to 2-3 times per month.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $65-68k. The People’s Action benefits package includes a very good family medical, dental & vision insurance plan, a 403b plan with employer contribution after 6 months, as well as paid time off in December, in addition to paid vacation and sick leave.
People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position Open Until Filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.