JOB OPENING: Lead Community Organizer for Citizen Action of NY
Join the fight for social, economic and racial justice!
Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for racial, social, economic and environmental justice, and an America that works for all of us. Our organizing campaigns focus on issues such as education, health care, campaign finance reform, progressive taxation, criminal justice consumer issues, and housing We have won significant improvements in New Yorkers’ lives, and we have elected progressive candidates to office. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions including the Alliance for Quality Education, NY Renews and the Health Care for All New York Coalition
Citizen Action of New York has eight regional grassroots offices, including one based in the Hudson Valley. We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Organizer for the Hudson Valley office located in Kingston.
If you have strong organizing experience, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
● Organize actions, mobilizations, phone banks, media coverage and other activities as part of our issue and electoral campaigns, with a major focus on education, democracy, federal issues, and criminal justice
● Door to door work is required
● Recruit members, build our volunteer base and train local members and leaders
● Build and staff local coalitions and local Citizen Action leadership committees
● Work to develop the Board and create committees to strengthen the Capital District Chapter of Citizen Action of New York
● Raise local funds
● Supervise staff
● Five or more years experience organizing issue and /or electoral campaigns
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills
● Ability to travel, including having a reliable car
● Ability to work evenings and weekends
Additional factors: Supervisory and fundraising experience; background in education, criminal justice, or housing policy a plus. Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics is strongly desired.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Full health benefits. Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Jamaica Miles, Organizing and Training Director, Citizen Action of New York at https://nexusmanagement.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=60
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.