Missouri Jobs with Justice (JwJ) is a coalition of labor, religious, student and community activists and organizations committed to protecting the basic human rights of men and women. Jobs with Justice addresses the root causes of poverty while working for an economic base that benefits the entire community. We believe that the fate of labor unions and the communities in which their members live are tightly bound together. We work in partnership with central labor councils, local unions, civil rights organizations, students, community, and faith-based organizations in mobilizing direct actions for social and economic justice for all people, including the right to organize a union, rebuilding the social safety net, living wages, health care, and equal treatment for all. Missouri Jobs with Justice is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We seek a diverse pool of volunteers and applicants for all opportunities and responsibilities within the organization – in particular with respect to women, people of color, the LGBT community, immigrants, and people of all ages.
The Communications Director leads the development and implementation of the communications strategy and plan for Missouri Jobs with Justice. The Communications Director designs and executes communications strategies for electoral, policy and organizing campaigns while working closely with policy and organizing team members. The ideal candidate is:
- Someone who is passionate about progressive change and interested in building power for workers, low-income communities and communities of color in Missouri.
- A consumer of news, politics and digital media and who can capitalize on opportunities to get our message out and shift the conversation on issues that impact workers and their communities.
- A communications strategist who has a proven track record on meeting goals and who understands how to analyze conditions and leverage opportunities to move messages and shift narratives.
- Someone with experience using a race-class narrative when approaching messaging.
- Create a strategic communications plans that positions Missouri Jobs with Justice as the go-to resource on issues impacting Missouri workers and their communities among media, policy makers and key elected officials.
- Oversee management of digital channels; ensure consistency of brand, voice, and messaging across various platforms; lead strategies to increase online to offline engagement
- Build relationships with state and national reporters; work with Executive, Policy and organizing directors to identify news hooks; engage leaders and other organizations to develop op-eds, blog posts, etc
- Manage production of printed branded materials, collateral and digital content; coordinates relationship with and production timelines with graphic designer, video editors, printers and other communications consultants as needed
- Work closely with organizers and leaders to develop communications trainings and materials for activists and create messaging materials for member organizations.
- Oversee organization website redesign and keep organization website up-to-date (WordPress)
- Minimum 3 years experience working in communications for a progressive organization, political campaign or labor union.
- Deep understanding of the Missouri political landscape and the issues faced by low-income and communities of color in Missouri.
- Experience developing and executing successful strategic plans for traditional and digital communications.
- Strong track record of successful placement in top-tier media outlets and talking with and maintaining relationships with reporters and editors
- Demonstrated success in writing and editing for a range of audiences, with a variety of communications content, including press releases, statements, speeches, op eds, blogs, fact sheets and website content, emails, messaging guides and talking points, scripts, and social media content.
- Experience with WordPress, Action Network, Powerbase
- Flexible, team-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Past experience in organizing and/or graphic design experience a plus.
- Position is based out of any MO JwJ office (Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbia or Springfield) but must have ability to travel within Missouri regularly.
- Individual must have a car, drivers license and auto insurance
Compensation and Benefits
$50,000-$60,000 based on experience with 100% medical benefits covered, 4% retirement match, FSA contribution, generous vacation and sick leave package, phone reimbursement, and union representation.
Please email cover letter, resume, 3 references, and two work writing samples (op-ed, blog or press release) to [email protected], with “COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR” in the subject line. Please send documents as PDF or MS Word email attachments. Deadline: April 26, 2019
For more information on Missouri Jobs with Justice please visit the websites for Missouri JwJ at www.mojwj.org or call the office at 314-644-0466.