Organization: Student Action (a project of People’s Action)
Location: Los Angeles, California
POSITION SUMMARY: Throughout California, students have been joining the movement for free College from All. Leading up to the November 2018 midterm elections, California Student Action engaged over 30,000 students around the issue of free college, many of whom are ready to continue the fight for free college, universal healthcare, immigration justice, and a world where all people can live with dignity and justice regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, (dis)abilities, geographies, citizenship status, criminal record or incarceration status. To build towards this vision, Student Action is joining forces with the College for All coalition to lead a campaign for free college in California.
Student Action is hiring a temporary, full time Lead Organizer to lead our base building efforts in Southern California, coordinate the California College for All coalition, and support local campus chapters to develop local campaigns.
Applications are due by January 2nd, 2019
- Lead Student Action Southern California base-building. Work with students in Los Angeles, Irvine and San Diego to build strong local chapters, create issue campaigns, train and develop student organizers and drive weekly on campus canvasses that engage students around free college for all.
- Build and facilitate a statewide College for All coalition and Drive the creation of a clear state-campaign. Together with allied organizations, we are building a legislative strategy to win free college for all in California. One of your key responsibilities will be to build and lead a coalition that meets monthly to align our work and ensure we are advancing our overall campaign. This will involve building relationships with other organizations, setting agendas, ensuring turnout, and leading accountability on calls. Work with coalition partners to develop a two year organizing plan to move college for all in California. Support students in developing local issue cuts and direct action campaigns that clarify how they can move 2019 college for all campaign work in coordination with our statewide campaign.
- Support fundraising for the College for All campaign. Lead grassroots fundraising with student teams in Southern California, and participate in California Student Action’s broader fundraising program.
- Lead the California Student Action organizing in conjunction with People’s Action overall 2020 People’s Presidential Campaign (to advance Free Higher Education among other issues) including base-building among student chapters to commit them to the campaign and engage Presidential candidates who visit California on the campaign’s demands.
- 1+ years of organizing experience
- Strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections
- Experience building and facilitating coalitions or diverse groups
- Strong ability to track details
- Experience leading volunteers and managing teams
- Strong problem-solving ability / flexibility and creativity
- Ability to multitask, track details and be flexible with hours
- Willingness to take constructive feedback and be accountable
- Experience facilitating training and leading canvasses preferred but not required
Candidates need to have a car and be able to drive.
This is a temporary, full time position which begins January 7th and ends on June 7th. The salary range for this position is $45-$47k. The People’s Action benefits packages includes a very good family medical, dental and vision insurance plan.
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume and two references to Brooke Adams at email@example.com. People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Applications are due by January 2nd, 2019.