Job Title: Student Action Part Time Canvasser CA 45
Organization: Student Action, a project of People’s Action
Location: Orange County, California
POSITION DESCRIPTION: We are in a critical moment of US electoral history. We have seen a rise in far right forces that have garnered momentum with the rhetoric of hate, pushing for regressive policies that are making structural racism, sexism, income inequality, and climate disaster worse. Now more than ever, young people need to set a new narrative that focuses on our issues and progressive values to build a future for everyone. This November, we can flip the House and sow the seeds to win on issues like Free College for All. To create this impact, Student Action is mobilizing students for this election and building organization for the long-term around our national campaign for Free College for All. In Orange County, California, we are mobilizing around the 45th Congressional district race.
To create this impact, Student Action is offering part time canvassing positions. The program will give you the opportunity to canvass, train volunteers, connect with local organizers working on the race, and participate in a Get Out The Vote (GOTV) push in the final days before the election. You will be canvassing on a college campus through tabling, dorm-storms, quad canvasses and more. You may also spend time phone-banking or texting voters in the area.
- Engage voters at your assigned campus through dorm canvassing, phone banks, building relationships with other students and registering people to vote. You will receive training regarding how to run an effective canvass or phonebank, and you will work with a campaign staff to sharpen your canvassing skills.
- Use a database system to record voter contact efforts
- Participate in weekly meetings to plan and debrief canvassing operations
- A deep commitment to progressive values and issues
- Ability to keep cool under pressure
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with hours
- Willing to take constructive feedback and be accountable
- Canvassers will be required to work all of Election Day
- Willingness to learn new skills and to work with others in a fast-paced, team environment
Campus Fellows are required to work 15 hours per week and will be paid $18 per hour. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ people strongly encouraged to apply. To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org