About the Position
People’s Action Institute is seeking a Human Resources and Staff Development Manager committed to deeply invest in the growth and health of our organization and the movement through the direct support of a values based, highly effective, diverse, inclusive, and positive work environment where our talented national staff can thrive.
This position will lead the development and implementation of systems, structures, and practices that recruit, retain, and develop staff; drive investment in our talented, high performing national staff team as well as ensure compliance with employment laws. The ideal candidate is results oriented and willing to take initiative. This position is based in Chicago, IL and reports to the Operations Director.
About People’s Action Institute
People’s Action Institute works is to advance a long-term agenda for racial, economic and gender justice by investing in powerful state and local organizations and campaigns that win real change in people’s lives. Through strategic issue campaigns grounded deeply with our affiliate organizations, creative direct action, grassroots action we engage the leadership of everyday people and power organizations in more than thirty states to build an economy and a democracy that puts people and planet first.
- Develop and manage an organization-wide strategy for recruiting and retaining high-quality, diverse staff, including identifying talent within and outside the organization;
- Support hiring process by providing training, guidance, drafting job descriptions, screening candidates, and sharing best practices;
- Lead the effort to expand and improve People’s Action’s management practice and to ensure even application across the organization;
- Improve on-boarding and off-boarding process and practice; ensure consistent implementation and follow through;
- Ensure competitive compensation and compliance with our salary scale;
- Support employees dealing with personnel challenges, including challenges with supervisors, peers, and direct reports;
- Support managers to address performance issues in accordance with our personnel policies and practices, including the development and execution of performance improvement plans;
- Partner with allied organizations to identify best practices and new developments in all areas of human resources and staff development;
- Create systems to collect and review staff feedback and conduct internal reviews to ensure organizational learning and improvement;
- Work with staff and managers to ensure People’s Action Institute’s work environment reflects our values of equity and inclusion;
- Develop a quantitative and qualitative performance measures tied to organizational goals;
- Manage a goals based annual review process and ensure that all managers provide meaningful and actionable feedback in an ongoing basis and during annual reviews.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a racially diverse, working-class organization and build strong relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Experience in developing and leading strategies that promote racial and gender equity at the organizational level.
- 4 or more years of experience in human resources, staff development, or closely related roles (e.g. community accountability, restorative justice practices).
- 4 or more years of experience working in progressive non-profit organizations focused on grassroots organizing, labor organizing, or advocacy.
- Knowledge of Human Resources and employment law; while HR experience is valued, this position does not require a SHRM certification
- Experience managing confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism and discretion.
- Experience with change management on the organization level and ability to take ownership of new initiatives and build broad ownership and support.
- Strong project management skills with proven ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced, demanding environment.
- Highly developed interpersonal and relational skills and effective oral and written communications skills
- If you have other related experience, please apply. We seek a field of applicants with a diverse set of experiences.
Salary and Benefits
This is a level 2 position with a salary range of 60-70k, DOE. People’s Action’s competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, 401k plan with employer contribution, flexible spending account, and paid time off in December in addition to paid vacation.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Andrea Frye (email@example.com). Position is open until filled. While we have a set of qualifications listed, if you have other experience that you think is related, please apply. We seek a diverse field of applicants.
People’s Action Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.