People’s Action is a national network of grassroots, progressive power organizations that brings democracy alive in communities across our country to advance an agenda of racial and economic justice. People’s Action has more than 400 organizers and other staff working in cities and towns in 30 states, and a national staff of over 50 people, with headquarters in Chicago and Washington, D.C.
People’s Action builds and strengthens grassroots organizations, trains community organizers and indigenous leadership, and conducts research and policy analysis to support issues campaigns designed to create a more just, equitable, and sustainable society.
People’s Action Director of Training will lead a team of staff and affiliate organizers to implement a robust Training Program to build the power of People’s Action and its affiliate members.
Our Training program includes the following:
- National Weeklong Leadership Training;
- National Skills Training;
- Political Education Training;
- Movement Politics Training;
- Trainings for Trainers;
- Three-day regional Leadership Trainings;
- Management training;
- Peace & Productivity Training.
Our program uses a variety of training pedagogies. Ideal candidates will have some mastery of both transformational, agitational pedagogy and popular education.
The Director of Training is not the lead organizer for all of these events, but does hold responsibility for supporting these events and insuring high-quality training. The goal is to develop leaders with the capacity to build organizations and develop leaders who have the knowledge, skills, and self-interest to build power.
- Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Build a competent and diverse Training Team with People’s Action staff and affiliate leaders.
- Create a training calendar and manage the logistics, publicity, and organizing for training events.
- Invest in training trainers and supporting the development of local training programs.
- Leadership roles in People’s Action national events.
- Initiate new trainings based on network needs and goals.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote People’s Action goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
- Complete and coordinate special projects as needed.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Willingness and ability to travel on a regular basis (1 – 2 weeks per month).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build genuine, long-term relationships that move leaders to action.
- Willingness to take feedback and stretch self to meet individual goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and track information.
- Demonstrated passion for eliminating gender, race, and class-based oppression.
- An excellent team player who will appreciate the experience and share the ambition of our staff and members and stretch our work toward new campaigns, projects, and alliances.
- Is comfortable in the field working directly with grassroots leaders.
- Understands and is comfortable with a diverse range of organizing and organizational models and methodologies.
- At least 3 years experience as an effective trainer in an agitational pedagogy.
- Experience organizing in communities of color.
- Experience with fundraising.
- Salary range: $75,000 – $95,000, depending on experience.
- Full comprehensive benefit package.
- People’s Action is an organization committed to the ongoing leadership development of members and staff, including access to relevant trainings and conferences.
- This position reports directly to People’s Action Director of Power-Building.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references to Pamela Twiss at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line DIRECTOR OF TRAINING APPLICATION. The deadline for receiving applications is Friday May 18th, 2018.
People’s Action is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.