About the Position
People’s Action Institute is seeking an experienced, mission-driven professional to lead the Communications Department and coordinate its work to influence public debate, oversee all contact with the press, craft digital advocacy campaigns, shape the network’s public image, manage the organization’s digital assets and care for our other communications needs.
The leader in this role will be responsible for achieving four main outcomes:
- Leading and supervising a team of communications and digital professionals in meeting the communications needs of the organization;
- Advancing the vision and values of the organization across various communications channels;
- Supporting our organizing campaigns by amplifying grassroots voices and leveraging national and regional media; and
- Supporting and developing strong communicators and digital organizers in grassroots organizations across our network.
The person in this position should be a world-class communicator and media practitioner with the heart of an organizer and campaigner. Ideally this position is based in our Washington, DC office or in remote location for the right candidate.
About People’s Action Institute
People’s Action Institute works is to advance a long-term agenda for racial, economic and gender justice by investing in powerful state and local organizations and campaigns that win real change in people’s lives. Through strategic issue campaigns grounded deeply with our affiliate organizations, creative direct action, grassroots action we engage the leadership of everyday people and power organizations in more than thirty states to build an economy and a democracy that puts people and planet first.
- Develop, manage and drive the organization’s media and messaging strategy, coordinated through various channels, with input from Staff, Board and affiliate organization leadership.
- Drive the organizations message, policies and ideas in traditional and social media.
- Supervise the production of high quality, timely, original social media and digital content.
- Oversee the organization’s earned media strategy, including the creation and oversight of the execution of media plans.
- Work with other staff to develop long-term communications strategies, including developing future report ideas, identifying messaging opportunities, and partnership opportunities.
- Ensure that the organization has strong relationships with the media and bloggers, ally organizations’ communications staff.
- Maintain best practices and operations for all digital platforms including websites and social media, mass email systems, channels. Incorporate data-driven strategies to ensure a top-notch digital program. Identify and negotiate with vendor partners to implement emerging technologies.
- Stay current on best practices, trends, and technologies related to content creation and communications.
- Supervise approximately five staff members and oversee the communications budget.
- Develop clear, coordinated processes for the execution of department responsibilities.
- Extensive experience managing and building a high-performing team.
- Experience leading a fast-paced and effective communications program for a progressive organizing and/or advocacy organization, political or issue campaign.
- 7+ years’ working experience managing communications strategy development in a progressive organizing or advocacy environment.
- Track record of successfully developing and executing integrated communications strategies for an organizing or advocacy organization or political/issue campaign.
- Experience with developing/executing both digital and traditional media campaign plans.
- Strong management, budgeting, analytical, and organizational skills, including relevant project management experience.
- Experience in managing people/departments/organizations during periods of change strongly preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations.
- Excellent relationship-building skills with ability to influence others to move toward a common vision or goal.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, marketing, or a related field.
- Knowledge of legal constraints of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofits.
- Commitment to social justice and experience with social change organizing.
- Experience creating, maintaining, and executing content and digital strategy for progressive organizations.
Salary and Benefits
This is a level 4 position with a salary range of 85-100K, depending on experience. People’s Action’s competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, 401k plan with employer contribution, flexible spending account, and paid time off in December in addition to paid vacation.
Position is open until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Libero Della Piana (email@example.com). We seek a diverse field of applicants. People’s Action Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.