People’s Action Institute (PAI) has created a one-year fellowship for emerging talent in the social change field to support our local and state campaigns to end mass incarceration. The Communications Fellow will advance the Decarceration Campaign through earned media communications strategies.
The PAI Decarceration Campaign is organizing directly-impacted communities as part of an emerging movement to end the era of mass jailing and imprisonment. Mass incarceration has achieved the opposite of its purported mission – perpetuating instead of reducing crime and violence. As a result, poor and working class communities are less safe and our nation’s historic anti-black racial caste system has been upheld. There are 2.2 million people in cages in the U.S. and 100 million with “criminal records” who are disproportionately people of color.
- Produce content for PAI digital/online outlets as well as news media outlets
- Work with the national communications & digital team, affiliate teams and allies to pitch and place stories in both progressive and major media outlets
- Directly support PAI affiliate decarceration campaigns, including drafting press releases, social media content and traveling to cities and towns to support earned media strategies as they happen related to major events.
- Work with the Decarceration Campaign team to produce campaign materials as needed for trainings, workshops and major events.
- Personal and/or professional familiarity with the system of mass incarceration
- Entry-level communications or media background
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Social change or community organizing experience
- A deep commitment to racial, gender and economic justice
- A good team player
There is a preference for being geographically based near one of the PAI offices, which are in Chicago, Seattle and Washington. This job will also require regular travel.
Salary and Benefits
Fellows will receive a one-year salary of $35,000, full health insurance coverage, vacation and earned sick time.
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing samples and references to email@example.com. References must include at least one direct supervisor. PAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
This fellowship runs from June 5, 2017 to June 2, 2018.