Student Action is hiring two State Fellows for the spring semester to develop one of our regional affiliates each. The fellow will be expected to work an average of 15 hours/week to support the development of one of our state-based affiliates, with priority states including Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. The fellow needs to be based in one of these states and be able to provide in-state campus visits to our prospective and current affiliates.
This Fellow will coordinate statewide calls, facilitate campus organizing trainings, and provide one on one mentorship to student organizing leaders.
The fellow can expect to get hands-on support from Student Action national staff, with weekly mentorship in-person meetings or calls depending on geographic location. Our national staff will also be available to answer questions and provide support.
People’s Action is a national network of grassroots, progressive power organizations that brings democracy alive in communities across our country to advance an agenda of racial and economic justice. People’s Action has more than 400 organizers and other staff working in cities and towns in 30 states, and a national staff of over 50 people, with headquarters in Chicago, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
People’s Action builds and strengthens grassroots organizations, trains community organizers and indigenous leadership, and conducts research and policy analysis to support issues campaigns designed to create a more just, equitable, and sustainable society.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Student Action, a project of People’s Action, is a national organization of college student power organizations fighting for economic, racial, and gender justice toward a just and sustainable planet. Made up of current students, graduates, and non-student millennials, we are building a national organization of young people for mass structural change. Student Action has student organizing projects at 40 campuses in 12 states, 400 active members, and 50 newly-trained leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to build genuine, long-term relationships that move student leaders to action
- Willingness to take feedback and stretch self to meet individual goals
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and track information
- Demonstrated passion for eliminating gender, race, and class-based oppression
- An excellent team player who will appreciate the experience and share the ambition of our staff and members and stretch our work toward new campaigns, projects, and alliances
- Is comfortable in the field working directly with grassroots leaders
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and think creatively
- Computer literacy
- 1+ year experience with Student Organizing
- Understands and is comfortable with a diverse range of organizing and organizational models and methodologies.
- Experience as a trainer.
- Experience organizing in communities of color.
- Experience with fundraising.
- Hours: 15/week
- Rate: $15/hour
- Dates of Employment: Date of Hire – May 31st. We can be flexible with student schedules if an earlier end date is required — if so, notify us in the hiring process.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and two references to Aija Nemer-Aanerud ([email protected]) with the subject line STUDENT ACTION STATE FELLOW APPLICATION. We will begin reviewing applications on February 27, 2017.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
People’s Action is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.
- See more at: https://peoplesaction.org/