Student Action is hiring a part-time communications intern to run its regular social media work. This intern would develop a national communications plan focused on social media engagement primarily over Facebook and Twitter. The intern would work with Student Action and People’s Action Communication staff to develop a narrative strategy and carry out regular social media posting to grow Student Action’s base of followers, email contacts, and overall media presence. Work would also include the writing of blog posts, press releases, and articles as needed.
Hours will be flexible but will range between 5 and 15 hours per week, with monthly work not to exceed 40 hours.
Ideal candidates will have excellent writing and editing abilities, extensive experience managing social media accounts, and a deep understanding of social justice, politics, and community organizing.
People’s Action is a national network of grassroots, progressive power organizations that brings democracy alive in communities across our country to advance an agenda of racial and economic justice. People’s Action has more than 400 organizers and other staff working in cities and towns in 30 states, and a national staff of over 50 people, with headquarters in Chicago, Seattle, and Washington, D.C.
People’s Action builds and strengthens grassroots organizations, trains community organizers and indigenous leadership, and conducts research and policy analysis to support issues campaigns designed to create a more just, equitable, and sustainable society.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Student Action, a project of People’s Action, is a national organization of college student power organizations fighting for economic, racial, and gender justice toward a just and sustainable planet. Made up of current students, graduates, and non-student millennials, we are building a national organization of young people for mass structural change. Student Action has student organizing projects at 40 campuses in 12 states, 400 active members, and 50 newly-trained leaders.
- Strong competency in Facebook and Twitter management
- Experience driving social media for organizations
- Excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with progressive organizing and narrative work
- Willingness to take feedback and stretch self to meet individual goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and track information.
- Demonstrated passion for eliminating gender, race, and class-based oppression.
- An excellent team player who will appreciate the experience and share the ambition of our staff and members and stretch our work toward new campaigns, projects, and alliances.
- Familiarity with Student Action’s analysis and methodology
- Experience developing communications and narrative strategies
- Experience creating viral memes
- Hours: 10-15/week
- Rate: $15/hour
- Dates of Employment: Date of Hire – May 31st. We can be flexible with student schedules if an earlier end date is required — if so, notify us in the hiring process.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume, writing sample, and two references to Aija Nemer-Aanerud firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line STUDENT ACTION COMMS FELLOW APPLICATION. We will begin reviewing applications on February 27, 2017.
No phone calls or email inquiries will be accepted.
People’s Action is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.
See more at: https://peoplesaction.org/